Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Project6: Element


Subject: Skylar Boykin

Project6 Time: 6.5hrs

Project52 Time: 37.5hrs


I wanted Project6 to be special because I was on tour with Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet this past weekend in Dallas, TX. I'm a huge fan of the dance training in Texas especially from a studio called Dance Industry in Plano. I wanted to take advantage of the local resources so I called up Skylar Boykin. She's a really kickass girl who dances with such grace and beastliness simultaneously, that I couldn't resist. 

We decided to shoot outside of the theater the Cedar Lake was performing at, the AT&T Performing Arts Center. It has a really wonderful sleek modern park out front and was calling my name since the day we had arrived. There was a great grass area with a stunningly crafted arts building behind it, resembling a sort of iron-work forest, some long stone bench areas, and the best part... a reflecting pool! As we shot, I felt a little elemental theme going on, which is how I ended up with the title. 

I gave Skylar different very basic tasks per set; a line oriented task for the grass, a falling concept for the  stone, and a circular idea for the water. I tried to direct her on how each element would function kinesthetically. She provided me with way more than I could've hoped. I found myself literally laughing with excitement at points while I was editing. We filmed everything in 2hrs.

***UNRELATED FUNNY SIDE STORY***
We soon realized that we were indeed in the south, as we shot the scenes on the stone. Here we were minding our own business, creating a nice little artsy film when out of no where a representative from the theater comes up. As I've said before not all the places I shoot necessarily give us permission to shoot so we just sort of do it and deal with the situation if it arises. (Art takes no prisoners!!!) I feel her disapproval and turn to take my scolding. I received just that, but not for what I thought. The little lady, in her finest southern accent say, "I hope you know, this is a real family-friendly kinda place here. We don't really find some of the positions she's in very appropriate." Dance? You don't find dance positions appropriate? At a performing arts complex?!? "I would appreciate it if y'all could just tone it down." I politely agreed and she went on her way. For the remainder of the shoot she stood inside the glass lobby of the theater and watched our every move. Praying that the wind would pick up just right and blow Skylar's dress up so she could throw her disapproval stamp right onto our faces. 
***END OF UNRELATED FUNNY SIDE STORY***

I edited this one on the flight home to NYC which is why it took so long. Final Cut Pro doesn't really get along with my MacBook Pro. I had fun with this one since there were so many different looks to edit in. I decided to be a bit more musical than usual with this one and I really enjoy how it turned out. It took around 4.5hrs to edit this badboy.

Hope you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment